The Mission of Outright Vermont is to build safe, healthy, and supportive environments for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning youth ages 13-22.
WE ENVISION AND PRACTICE OUR WORK AS FOLLOWS:
- An organizational model built on youth-adult partnerships which create mutual opportunities for growth, learning, and skill development.
- By providing queer-identified adult role models as mentors, group facilitators, and organizational leaders.
- By having queer & allied youth on our board of directors, on our speakers’ bureau, and as our interns.
- By hiring staff of all ages and investing in their growth as professionals, people, and community leaders.
- A queer and allied community who invest in our mission through a variety of resources that include, but are not limited to, donations of skills, time, goods, and money.
- By valuing every investment equally toward the impact of our work.
- By diversifying our fundraising efforts across the all areas.
- By looking first to our mission, vision and values as an organization and last to one-time and unsustainable funds.
- An organization that does not give up or back down from furthering our work as an anti-oppression organization.
- By committing to anti-racist principles, practice, training, and evaluation at all levels of our work.
- By exploring and naming the intersections of our complete social identities (race, class, ability, age, religion, sexual identity, gender identity) as queer people and celebrating our complexities as human beings.
- By sharing our success and struggles with our community and funders, so that we might teach and learn how to create a more just movement together.
- A state where all queer youth have access to all of the resources they need to live safe, healthy, authentic lives.
- By modeling self-care, respect, and love for our bodies – as youth and adults.
- By respecting and celebrating all identities, freeing ourselves from stereotypes that hurt and limit our lives.
- By providing accessible, age-appropriate, and non-judgmental safer-sex education for young people.
- By ending the bully-culture in our lifetime.
- An organization that actively creates intentional, safe, and vibrant queer space wherever we go, in whatever we do, and wherever we live.
Our youth programs, groups, and queer youth space (unless otherwise stated) are for queer and questioning people, ages 22 and under.Our education & outreach work is for all ages and ranges from work in schools to local non-profit agencies.
Since 1989, we have provided support, advocacy, and celebration of young queer people in Vermont for over 20 years. Founded by a small group of queer adults, after a national survey discovered that queer youth were dramatically at higher risks of suicide than their heterosexual peers, Outright Vermont has built up programming that now includes:
- Queer youth spaces, that hosts a range of weekly peer-support groups, events, workshops, and more in Burlington, Montpelier, and Brattleboro, VT;
- Education & outreach work statewide for schools, communities, colleges, and organizations looking for support on preventing harassment, dealing with harassment, creating and supporting Queer/Straight Alliances (QSAs), and more;
- Annual large scale events for queer youth & the larger queer community including: 10 years of queer youth pride, a statewide queer & allied youth summit, the Fire Truck Pull, and the annual Outright Awards.